Saturday 18 January 2014

Technology solves another problem




Do you ever feel like no one pays any attention to you? Well, you're probably right, unless you're tweeting or posting something. If you were to run naked down the street screaming the good news that the squid people were here to save us all if only we'd listen, well, no one would notice. You'd have to tweet that.

As social media grows we're becoming more anti social as a species when it comes to one on one interaction. When a group of friends get together theres always someone with their phone out, texting or checking their mail, always distracted. Whenever I take the bus I put my iPod on so I won't have to listen to people talking. I've been doing it for so long now that I'm not even sure if people talk on the bus anymore. Maybe it's quiet now that everyone has an iPhone, iPad, iPod, iHelmet.

I used to wonder why I never bumped into any of my old friends from high school. I thought it could be because I'm busy and have kids (as well as my old friends), or that most of them moved away to another city for work (or to not run the risk of bumping into me). But it's probably because I'm just not paying attention. I could literally walk right by an old friend and not even notice. That may sound sad but it probably isn't. Interactions between old friends who have lost touch with each other tend to be hollow anyway. There are reasons why some friendships don't continue past high school.

I joined Twitter to see if I could promote this blog. It was a bit overwhelming to say the least. There's just so much noise out there that it seems pointless. How does anyone stand out without resorting to tweeting about twerking? (10 years ago no one would have known what that meant. Those were better times.)

Tweeting about cartooning is probably pointless anyway. I mean, Marmaduke is still around! I'm pretty sure the centenarian who draws that cartoon doesn't have a twitter account. He's still drawing cartoons about how a big dog manages to slobber up the owners newspaper. (Get it? He's a big dog! Hahahaha!) He gets paid for these rehashed gags. Ugh.

Anyway, I'll post this blog, tweet it, update my status on Facebook and then read a Marmaduke cartoon and get really mad. I'm pretty sure the punch line to the Marmaduke cartoon will be (It's a big dog, get it?)


1 comment:

  1. Well done, son. I'm on Twitter too. Why? I don't know.

    ReplyDelete