Friday 31 January 2014

Spiders are scary!



This one is very much like a Far Side cartoon (I'm not bragging, just admitting). It allows you to imagine what's going to happen. I don't know if Gary Larson ever drew a cartoon about someone trying to kill a gigantic bug with a newspaper or not. I hope not, but if he did I'm sure it's much funnier and I highly recommend it (even without reading it).

My wife loves spiders. I hate them. She's always telling me to put them outside. Putting them outside requires one to somehow corral the beast into a jar and transport it to the backyard where it will just make its way in again. Maybe we don't live in Australia where every single bug is poisonous but to me all arachnids look like monsters. (By the way, my wife doesn't look like the women in this cartoon. She only looks that way to me when she tells me to shoo an eight legged monster out the window.)

There really is no reason to be afraid of spiders. I do feel a pang of guilt whenever I squish one, but that quickly subsides. Some argue arachnophobia may have been an instinctive response that helped early humans survive. More likely, humans who ran from harmless spiders probably ran into the jaws of a far more dangerous animal. It's amazing arachnophobia is still around.

What is it about spiders that's so horrendous? I don't know. They're sneaky, they crawl up walls, they have too many eyes, too many legs. Quadrupeds I can handle. Anything with more than four legs should be squashed.


2 comments:

  1. One evening sitting at my computer, a tiny spider dropped down between me and the screen; I looked up and the ceiling was CRAWLING with hundreds of newly hatched spawn. Out came the vacuum cleaner!!

    I'm tellin' ya....if you spin your web inside any of my electronics and short them out...you are my enemy!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. They belong outside. I was sitting on a boat and a rather large spider suddenly appeared beside my head. I couldn't help it, I jumped up and killed it and shuddered for a few seconds. I just don't like them.

      Delete